Australian police arrest man after Brisbane airport evacuated over bomb threat

Aerial view of Brisbane Airport

Aerial view of Brisbane Airport Breaking Man shot in Brisbane Airport 'bomb threat'

Police will allege the exclusion zone in Surfers Paradise was a precaution related to the Brisbane Airport incident.

The man was later shot by police and arrested on Saturday night.

Brisbane Airport's global terminal was shut down when he allegedly threatened a woman with a knife.

He then allegedly placed a metal object on a table, claiming it was a bomb, and began chasing the woman.

The device was found to be "inert", but Queensland Police Commissioner Ian Stewart said its complex appearance "indicates just the extraordinary lengths that a person has gone to create a perception of risk, threat and fear".

Police remove evidence from Brisbane International Airport.

Terrorism was later ruled out as the cause and the man was charged with domestic violence offences, falsely claiming to destroy or damage an aviation facility, and making a hoax bomb threat.

Maroon 5's racy Super Bowl show
It was Maroon 5's first Super Bowl halftime show appearance, and they were joined on stage by rappers Travis Scott and Big Boi . The show closed with a guitar solo and fireworks, with the band hugging Scott and Big Boi before making their exits.

On Sunday, the 50-year-old Surfers Paradise man was charged with one count each of contravene a domestic violence order, stalking with a weapon, stealing and serious assault police.

Police evacuated the area and declared an exclusion zone after the discovery of a "suspicious device" - the bomb squad was called in to investigate, and all trains were halted and flights grounded.

A 50-year-old man was charged yesterday after he allegedly threatened a woman with a knife at Brisbane Airport and claimed he had a bomb, resulting in an emergency evacuation of the airport's global terminal.

Queensland Police tweeted that there were no reports of injuries to members of the public or police.

The man was taken into custody a short time later. Queensland police assistant commissioner Peter Crawford said the man had suffered a "health issue" during the charging process.

Police will wait until he recovers before determining with the court when he will first appear.

Latest News