Man dies after being attacked by shark in Whitsundays

The man was airlifted to Mackay Hospital in a critical condition. Image 7 NewsMore

The man was airlifted to Mackay Hospital in a critical condition. Image 7 NewsMore

"It's a awful situation for these people that were on holiday", Inspector Steve O'Connell said.

Her condolences came as the Queensland Government is resisting calls to install drum lines in Cid Harbour following a fatal shark attack yesterday, the third attack in the same area in two months.

Both swimmers were pulled from the water by French tourists on another boat, who were the first to respond to the incident. French-speaking tourists launched a dinghy from their yacht and rescued Chritidis, O'Connell said.

"Daniel is a rare individual who is constantly enthusiastic and positive".

Cid Harbour, located in north Queensland's idealic tourism hotspot the Whitsunday Islands, has recently become notorious for shark attacks following the mauling of two people in September this year.

"He really had the sky, whatever that is for a young doctor, as the limit".

Sea World's director of marine sciences Trevor Long said our three most unsafe sharks all had different feeding patterns but there were similarities in the way they hunted their prey.

Western Health chief medical officer Paul Eleftheriou said Dr Christidis was a widely loved and respected member of staff.

Boeing 737 Max safety alert issued after Lion Air crash
He added that the broken sensor from the Bali-Jakarta flight would be sent to the manufacturer in Chicago for further examination. FAA and the European Aviation Safety Agency often follow such actions by mandating that carriers follow the bulletins.

"He was a fantastic doctor, exceptional character".

All three attacks took place in Cid Harbor, off the coast of the Whitsunday Islands, which lie between the northeast coast of Queensland and the Great Barrier Reef.

It comes as Tourism Minister Kate Jones announced a roundtable would be held on Friday with the Whitsunday Regional Council, marine experts and tourism industry officials.

Queensland's Liberal National Party opposition is calling for a full parliamentary inquiry into the state's shark control program and the implementation of drumlines in the area.

"We don't want to dictate to experts and locals - it's important they have a say in how we tackle this".

"We have to make an assumption it was a tiger given the amount of tigers they caught in Cid Harbour following the last attack", Mr Long said.

Shark control equipment had been temporarily placed in Cid Harbour following the first two attacks but was removed on September 27 after the potentially risky sharks were removed.

Reports of operators dumping scraps over the sides of boats, which could be exacerbating shark activity in the area, will be discussed at the roundtable.

Latest News