Saudi official provides yet another version of Khashoggi's death

Erdogan, Trump hold phone conversation on Khashoggi

Saudi Arabia calls Khashoggi killing 'grave mistake,' says prince not aware

Saudi Arabia on Sunday called the killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi at its Istanbul consulate a "huge and grave mistake", but sought to shield its powerful crown prince from the widening crisis, saying Mohammed bin Salman had not been aware.

Meanwhile, Turkish authorities have put Khashoggi's fiancée under 24-hour police protection, the state-run Anadolu news agency said on Sunday.

President Erdogan earlier on Sunday said that he will make a statement on the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi on Tuesday during his party's group meeting at the parliament.

On Sunday, Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir described his death on Fox News as a "murder" and a "tremendous mistake". Retno said the visit was scheduled after the Saudi monarch visited Indonesia, the world's most populous Muslim-majority nation, in March previous year.

"The individuals who did this did this outside the scope of their authority", he said.

US Treasury Secretary Stephen Mnuchin said Saudi Arabia's admission the "Washington Post" columnist had been killed in a fistfight was a "good first step but not enough".

Britain, France and Germany also urged Saudi Arabia to provide "credible" facts for its explanation about the killing of Khashoggi.

Saudi prosecutors said 18 people had been arrested and five top officials fired for their connection to the case.

Reflecting global scepticism over its account, a senior Saudi government official laid out a new version that contradicts previous explanations.

CCTV footage has been released which appears to show one of the 15 so-called Saudi Arabian "hit squad" posing as a body double for murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

US President Donald Trump, who has resisted pressure to curb arms sales to Saudi Arabia, initially said Riyadh's version of events was credible but then accused the kingdom of lies.

Canelo Alvarez Inks Massive $365 Million Five-Year DAZN Deal
Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya believes Floyd Mayweather is running out of money due to his extravagant lifestyle. His last bout - a win in a rematch with Gennady Golovkin on 15 September - generated HBO an estimated $121m (£92m).

The apparent Saudi aim was for footage of the man to be picked up by CCTV and distributed, thereby bolstering claims made in the days after Khashoggi's disappearance on 2 October that he had left the consulate unscathed.

Madani, 57, is of similar age and build to Khashoggi, 59, and was reportedly brought in as a decoy to throw Turkish investigators off the killers' trail. "We do not know in terms of details how".

She said: "I agree with all those who say when it comes to our already limited arms exports to Saudi Arabia, that they can not take place in the current situation".

"The Turks have been talking more to the media than they have us", Corker said of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation ally.

President Donald Trump said Saturday he would speak to the crown prince "very soon" as he works to determine what, if any, consequences the US ally will face for the killing of a dissident journalist.

Turkish officials believe Mr Khashoggi, a prominent critic of the Saudi government, was murdered by a team of Saudi agents inside the building. The deal "will allow us to intervene to rebalance the market in any appropriate time from January onward", he said.

Trump said: "We'd like to find out where it is and what happened".

"The Turks have been talking more to the media than they have [to] us", Corker said of the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation ally.

Bob Corker, chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said Saturday on CNN's "State of the Union" that he believed bin Salman was behind the killing.

But even if the Saudis keep Trump on their side, they could face a reckoning from the U.S. Congress, where Republicans and Democrats alike have expressed outrage over the killing.

Latest News