2nd shark attack in 2 days

The 46-year-old Tasmanian woman had jumped into the water near a chartered yacht at Cid Harbour on Wednesday afternoon when she was bitten on her upper right leg and torso

The 46-year-old is now fighting for life in a Queensland hospital. Image 7 NewsMore

A child has been bitten by a shark in Queensland's Whitsundays region, in the second attack in just 24 hours.

"Unbelievably it's actually a really similar injury to what the lady yesterday suffered as well, exact same spot but opposite leg", a spokeswoman said.

"Her status at the moment could be called critical until further information is released".

In a cruel twist, it was the same RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter pilot and air crewman that rescued both Mrs Barwick and the young girl.

RACQ CQ Rescue aircrew Ben McCauley and pilot Kevin Berry, who were part of the four-men helicopter crew that rescued the 46-year-old woman.

Less than 24 hours before the girl's attack, Tasmanian woman Justine Barwick had been attacked in the same harbour, causing her to lose a significant amount of blood.

Family Based Care chief executive Doug Doherty said Ms Barwick and Craig were regular visitors to the popular tourist destination in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef.

She was treated for 20 minutes on the beach, having sustained "fairly large wounds with artery and bones, vessels, (and a) large haemorrhage" according to Queensland Ambulance Service's Tracey Eastwick.

Mr Macdonald contacted the RACQ CQ Rescue helicopter on the radio to co-ordinate what needed to be done for her to be picked up from the boat.

Sneak peak into the new life of Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex
You know what they say: You can take the grandmother out of the queen , but you can't take the queen out of the grandmother. Queen of the World premieres on ITV in the United Kingdom on Tuesday, 25 September.

She was "conscious but critical" when she was moved from Proserpine to Mackay Base Hospital, arriving just after 8pm, Ms Eastwick said.

After being stabilised aboard a boat she was loaded on to a helicopter which had landed on the beach near Cid Harbour, off the coast of Airlie Beach near Hamilton Island.

A Queensland Boating and Fisheries patrol vessel is also on site this afternoon to stop people from swimming where two people were attacked.

"In north Queensland, shark attacks are not that common".

The hovering chopper drew the attention of John Hadok, an emergency department doctor from Mackay Base Hospital, who was sailing nearby and soon joined the effort to save Ms Barwick's life.

Fisheries Queensland will set three baited drum lines in the harbour today in a bid to catch the shark or sharks responsible.

The woman was transported by helicopter to Mackay Base Hospital where she remains in a critical condition.

Shark attack victim Justine Barwick, from Burnie, Tasmania.

"We're are also working with relevant government agencies in relation to both incidents", Mr Vanek said in a statement on Friday.

Latest News